Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Is Multitasking Muting Your Writer Inside?


I am in a struggle with my students over music. Yes, something as basic as music. I listen to NPR and stream community radio when I work on the computer. (Big sigh) I don't remember "music" being an issue with my Ell's before last spring. I have traced it to YouTube and other music outlets that play one song at a time so the listener is constantly clicking back in to hear a new selection. The video option is another distraction. They hear a song and peak back at the video. I don't even look at emailing or shopping going on. I finally put the kibosh on open use of music when it took one hour to type ten questions.


This is really about multitasking and how it makes us feel like we are being more productive because we are always moving. But is the work at hand getting done? There is a disconnect between daily dedicated writing and progress to move on to the next English class. So now my students and I are reflecting on learning and writing about how we personally prefer to learn. But what if your preferences aren't in your best interest? I prefer to drink coffee, listen to the news, stare out the window at my roses and be near a telephone when I write but does this help me produce my best writing?


Honestly, when I had to write entries for my national board certification, I turned off the radio, shut the door and the blinds, and read my writing again and again. Why did this help me even if I felt cut off from the world? I could hear my writing when I read it aloud.


So there is my reason for curbing music and distractions. Students need to read, whisper read, their writing to hear it's own rhythm and meaning. Theirs is the voice they should be listening to, at least most of the time.

No comments: