Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mees, I have a computer but no internet

After missing school for 8 days and 2 weekends, my ELLs have largely been unplugged.  Yes they worked in the restaurants within walking distance to upscale developments. Yes, they earned money for shoveling driveways (one earn $600!).  Yes, they watch a lot of televion and some video games.  They were connected by cell phones and texting.  Some of my students told me that they couldn't pay the internet bill so it was cut off.  Another student has a new laptop but needs tech support at home to get the internet working. Our tech guy at school has been helping him.

Out of 38 students, only 1 responded to our class blog over the time out school and she is new to the class.  That tells me something.  My 17-24 year old ELLs don't know what a blog, podcast or wiki are!!! I am their gateway to technology.  That is frightening. My writing class is more infused with technology so they aren't lagging behind their peers.  The digital divide is a cultural divide of the haves and have nots.  While a cell phone and ipod are accesories that everyone sees on you as techno bling, they don't see your writing and cognitive skills.  My ELLs have some techno bling but  they need a middle aged white mother to learn how to own it.

No comments: