Sunday, February 21, 2010

Techno Bling but no Know How

Well another class when the middle aged mom got to share what a podcast is to teens/young adults.  I just think its funny and desperate at the same time. (Well I need a sense of humor.)  A third of my students raised their hands when I asked if they had an  ipod. Then a quarter indicated they had an mp3 player.  Then some students mocked those with mp3 players as being "cheap", even though they didn't own either device. . That was an interesting perception about technology that is ripe for researching.  Some told me they just get pirated music off the web. So many have the techno bling but not the know how.  Well anyhow, the reason I was asking about podcasts, was that my students indicated they wanted more listening exercises in our ESOL class.  It is a new semester, and I asked them to brainstorm activities that would support their writing goals.  This was a great lead in for podcasts.  I was able to show them the podcasts a few students made last year in Blackboard that linked to itunes (finally a cool tool in Blackboard.)  In past years, my classes made a CD anthology of radio stories, but now we are transitioning to podcasts. Although since more students have CD players in their cars, I think we need to do both this spring.  Learning how to write in a second language via new applications is really double the work for the students and me.  I don't see how I can justify doing one without the other.  Access to technology is an issue of equity for my ELLs.  Here is podcast from one my students.
Student Podcast

No comments: