Sunday, February 14, 2010

why aren't my daughters workshopping?

After 6 days without school and another one on the way, my 10 year old (call her Ten) and 7 year old (call her Seven for now) have practiced piano for 30 minutes, read at least 30 minutes, and completed a math activity.  Yet here I am, a self professed writing teacher, and my little girls decided to take writing into their own gripped little fists (My ELL class would really help any writer so I don't know what makes my class just for ELLs.)  Here it was Valentine's morning, and I received a hand crafted love poem, not from my husband of 11 years, but from Ten.  She loves to write poetry.  How did we discover this 2 years ago?  Not from her classroom experience, there isn't a workshop teacher in that school.  No it was at the Maine Writing Project's Summer Writers' Camp in Bar Harbor.  God bless that teacher who showed my daughter how writing can be fun. Until then it was just something, "Mommy does at school with her students."  Since that writers' camp Ten asks, "Why don't my teachers do writer's workshop?"  I ask myself, why don't I "do" writers' workshop with her?-Ugh-more guilt.  Do we really "do writing?"  That sounds so task driven. Exactly the reason I put it off.  (Update-I did read and respond to my students' portfolios today. What a joy!...still don't know why I put it off. I love reading my students, "going meta"!)  My daughter needs to workshop her writing like my students do. That means she needs a sense of audience and purpose with peer feedback.  She has also asked about updating a blog from last August-oops forgot about that one.  Will a blog give her a workshop experience?  I have opened an account on 21Classes for my 2 ELL alternative HS students. If nothing else, she will get an education in the lifestyles of the disenfranchised young immigrants.  Seven has to wait. She is too much of a critic to be kind to my ELLs.

No comments: